Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Mmm.....

Strawberries!



I didn't just make lasagna yesterday. Dan and I also went strawberry picking at Killdeer Farm. It was raining when we left, but since the farm is about ten miles from our house, we decided to head out anyway, in case the weather was better there. It wasn't, but that didn't stop us from picking six heaping quarts. The rain was pretty light, but we got plenty wet. I'd say it was well worth it. There's nothing better than fresh-picked strawberries.



Today I hulled and sliced half of the strawberries. We'll eat as much as we can this week and freeze the rest. Last year we went strawberry picking with my grandmother and the three of us picked twelve pounds in no time. It was such a treat last winter when everything was gray and snowbound to pull some strawberries out of the freezer. I'm looking forward to it again already.

But meanwhile, this week, we get to eat them fresh. We started tonight with some strawberry shortcake:



I used this biscuit recipe, which was fantastic. They rose up so huge and puffy - literally quadrupling in height! Perfectly flaky yet somehow dense and hearty enough to withstand the assault of the strawberry juices. I whipped up some heavy cream with a little vanilla and almond flavoring and just a touch of sugar. The result was heavenly.

No comments: