Saturday, June 28, 2008

super quick and easy dinner

Yesterday, Dan and I wanted to catch a movie at 7:00, so we didn't have much time between when he got home from work and when we needed to head out again. I decided temaki (hand-rolled sushi) would be a good dinner choice. I cooked the rice in the afternoon (I work from home) and seasoned it with a mix of one part salt, one part sugar, and five parts rice vinegar, as described in this book.

When Dan got home, I sliced some cucumbers, carrots, and crab stick for fillings, and set out some nori (dried seaweed) and soy sauce for dipping. Temaki are easy to make and particularly refreshing on a warm day, especially if you have a rice cooker and don't have to turn on the stove. You just grab a sheet of nori, put on a scoop of rice, add whatever fillings you want, and roll it up into a cone.

Yum!


(Yes, my husband proudly rocks the handlebar mustache.)

No comments: