Thursday, January 22, 2009

Dinner, Part 2: Chicken with Rosemary and Tomatoes

I don't have a picture of this dish, since I was caught up in hosting and forgot to snap one, but you'll just have to trust me that it looks really tasty. Or you should make it, so you can see for yourself. It's a really simple combination that comes together beautifully, and once you try it, you will want to make it again and again. I was given this recipe by someone on a wedding planning website several years ago. Throughout my senior year of college, I made this dish at least two or three times per month. My then-fiance's apartment was a great refuge from the stress of thesis writing and grad school applications, and using his kitchen to cook for us was my favorite way to unwind. Since the recipe calls for a bit of wine, you also have a great excuse to open a bottle and sip a glass while you cook. On Sunday, I served this with risotto cakes and a simple salad, but it's also wonderful with crusty bread to soak up the juices.

Chicken with Rosemary and Tomatoes

2 teaspoons olive oil
2 chicken breasts
1 small can (15 oz) diced tomatoes
1/3 cup dry white wine (sauvignon blanc or pinot grigio work well)
2 teaspoons dried rosemary
salt, to taste

Add olive oil to deep saute pan and heat over medium. When hot, add chicken breasts and cook on one side until browned, 5-7 minutes. Flip breasts. Add can of tomatoes (including juice), a generous splash of white wine, and copious amounts of rosemary. Add salt if desired. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Chicken should be very tender and moist. All measurements are approximate, so don't measure too carefully - just relax and have fun with it.

No comments: