Friday, January 9, 2009

Winter CSA, Month 1

I have been remiss in posting pictures of our winter share. This is a shot of the first winter share, which we picked up in early November:


Pretty incredible, isn't it? And yes, those are my pink-stockinged feet in the corner. I had to stand on a chair in order to get far enough away to get everything in frame. And this isn't actually everything: we also had a huge bag of onions, shallots, and garlic bulbs (to last throughout the winter), a bunch of dried rattlesnake beans, still in the pods, and as much basil as we could pick.

The basil was turned into pesto and frozen in cubes; likewise, I roasted most of the squash and steamed all of the kale to freeze for future use. I have a few pictures of meals made from this harvest, which I will post eventually. A lot of my pictures from this time did not turn out very well. The days were getting shorter and the light more elusive, and by mid-November, it was usually dark out before I even started cooking dinner.

What about month 2, which we picked up in early December? Well, I never photographed it. As I mentioned, I kept getting sick, and I was very busy, and frankly, what we got in month 2 was just not as pretty. Think parsnips. Lots and lots of parsnips. Plus carrots, potatoes, and more cabbage than I will ever know what to do with. We still have some cabbage in the fridge, and we're going to pick up month 3 tomorrow!

Check back Monday for a picture of tomorrow's haul, and have a wonderful weekend.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is a really nice share! How much do you pay as a CSA member?

Sarah Maxell Crosby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah said...

For a small winter share, we paid $170 for a monthly pickup from November through May. We had planned to pick it up at the farm every month, but when we saw the road it's on, we realized our Camry probably wouldn't handle the drive without snow tires, so we opted to pay an additional $35 delivery fee and pick it up at the monthly indoor farmer's market instead. So total, $205 for seven monthly shares. If we had the storage space, we could have picked up the whole seven months' worth at the beginning of the season and paid only $140 total. Great deal!

Amanda said...

Okay, two questions, because we are really interested in joining a CSA next season: are those tomatillos on the left?? Also, do you have a spare freezer of some sort to store your pesto and other CSA items you save for use throughout the winter?